Saturday, January 15, 2011

Family Connections to Samuel de Champlain

In addition to working on a section of the family history about Isidore Bushnoe, I have been working on connections through both the Jarvis and Baker sides that go back to the founding of Quebec and Acadia by Samuel de Champlain.

Some notables:  Louis Hebert and his wife Marie Rollet are my 11th great grandparents.  They are credited with being the first settlers of Quebec City.  Louis' father, Nicholas was the court physician to French Queen, Catherine De Medici.  Louis and Marie came to the New World in 1617.  He was one of the leaders of the new colony.

Zacharie Cloutier is my 10th great grandfather. He first arrived in Quebec in 1619 with Champlain.  He was not a settler at first but a laborer brought over to clear and cultivate farmland for the settlement.  He returned in 1634 and was one of the original settlers of Beauport, Que.

Guillaume Trahan and his wife, Francoise Corbineau, are my 11th great grandparents.  They arrived on the "St. Jehan" in 1636 and were among the first families to settle in Acadia, helping to found the community of Port Royal.  He was head of the Port Royal Council when the British seized the colony in 1654.

Jean Guyon arrived at the same time Zacharie Cloutier did in 1634.  He and his wife, Mathurine Robin are my 11th great grandparents, as well.  I have traced Jean's ancestry back to  the French royal family; particularly, Henry I Beauclerc who reigned from 1100 to 1135.

In all, I have found 11 of my grandfathers who were among the first settlers of Acadia and Quebec City.  When completed, this chapter of the family history will be a great story told.

No comments:

Post a Comment